Image Map

July 24, 2013

The Best Pencil Sharpener Ever...Product Review



I've purchased many electrical pencil sharpeners with the hopes of them lasting the entire year. And each year I'm continuously disappointed. The electric sharpeners are noisy and distracting and are easily over-heated leaving many students without their much needed sharpened pencils. Not to mention, when the motor dies, so does the pencil sharpener.

When I heard about this pencil sharpener from Classroom Friendly Supplies, I knew I had to try it! The owner, Troy Decoff, whom is also a classroom teacher, sent one out within days!

When I brought this new pencil sharpener into the room, I had to model how to use it since my students had zero idea how such a device worked!

In this case, I sharpened a Smencil (pencils made from recycled newspaper). This sharpener can sharpen colored pencils as well without a problem!



My students love the ease at which they can sharpen their pencils and I love that it is so quiet! There are times where pencil points get stuck in the blade (especially with colored pencils).  This is a simple fix because the sharpener is very easy to open allowing you to remove the blade. (There are Photos and How To Videos on their website to help you!) 

I also love that the blade is replaceable! You can buy replacement blades at the site--that way you don't have to buy another whole sharpener!

To end this review, I thought it might be nice to hear from the ones who use the sharpeners the most...
"These pencil sharpeners are amazing. They're very quiet unlike electric sharpeners and they stop so you know the pencil is done and when the pencil is very sharp and this sharpener doesn't use plugs so you can save electricity. They have big containers and they won't cause a fire."

"I think the sharpeners are awesome. When I sharpen my pencil it doesn't take it 1 million times. It only takes 1 time to make it sharp. There is also really quiet which makes it really good when you're taking a test." ~~~~~~~~~~~"The sharpener is easy to sharpen with. It is adjustable to small pencils. It is easy to take the shreds out." 



"I think that the pencil sharpeners are helpful because they make less noise than mechanical sharpeners. Your pencil gets sharpened in 3 turns and the tip is really sharp and if the sharpener is broken, there's a way to fix it. But if it was a different sharpener it will not fix and if it can it will be a lot of work."


What do you look for in a pencil sharpener? I'd love to hear your thoughts :)


10 comments:

  1. I agree! I love this pencil sharpener and would not go back to the annoying electrical one. We did find that it was having some trouble with the colored pencils, but I'm glad to hear that you had success! In fact, I've added this to my list for my School Supply Linky Party. Head on over to check it out!

    Amy
    Turtley Loving Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy!
      I love your list of school supplies--I'm going to get my post together so I can link up :) Thanks for the invite!

      --jen

      Delete
  2. I love the student testimonials! I bought one of these sharpeners this summer. I can't wait to use it in the new school year. Thanks for the information about the blade.
    The Traveling Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren!
      The kiddos had so much fun writing the testimonials--I told them I was only picking a few, so they worked really hard on them to try to get theirs noticed! Too cute!

      Enjoy your new sharpener--you're going to fall in love with it!
      --jen

      Delete
  3. I have this pinned to buy for the upcoming school year! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it quick to use when sharpening a bunch of pencils at one time? I like the sound of it never overheating but I have gotten lazy with just being able to poke the pencil in the whole of the electric sharpener.
    -Carol
    Mrs. Cobb's Kindersprouts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol,
      The sharpener is very quick when sharpening multiple pencils--I've had to sharpen whole class sets of pencils on test days and did so in no time at all :) I hope that helps!

      --jen

      Delete
  5. A great post, and a great electric pencil sharpener. I personally have bought the School Smart Vertical Pencil Sharpener

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought this sharpener because my old one made a horrible squealing noise. I'm a librarian but we have study hall in this library, so I had to find a good sharpener.
    This one is not super quiet, but it works SO fast that it doesn't create a big disturbance.
    I even had one junior-high student (stinker!) try to put in a pencil the wrong way, and it still works!
    I would recommend this sharpener to anyone who uses standard pencils. (It does not adjust for wider, early childhood-type pencils.)Read more here

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete